Families travel from across the United States for their son to participate in Trip Camp because there are no other camps (day or overnight) that provides this experience. Campers are dropped off at our drop-off location at 9:00 A.M. and picked up at 4:30 P.M.
Past trips and activities have included:
Stand Up Paddleboarding
Dolphin Watch Cruise
Time and weather permitting, we spend some time at the beach each day.
Trip Camp is an electronics-free camp meaning campers do not bring smartphones, tablets, etc. with them to camp.
Social skills taught:
- Learning to be flexible for the sake of being part of a peer group
- Improving self-directed talk (doing things independently, without constant prompting)
- Understanding one’s responsibility in cultivating and sustaining friendships
- Learning how to go from “school friends” to “outside of school friends”
- Getting through initial social anxiety when in a group of new kids
- Developing resiliency to get through non-preferred tasks
- Understanding how to be show an interest in others so they know you want to be friends
- Using humor appropriately
- Improving perspective taking ability (understanding other’s thoughts/feelings & how you come across to others)
- Developing self-advocacy skills
- “Hidden Rules” that accompany puberty
- Learning how to differentiate between what’s a “small problem” or “big problem”
(Non-academic) Executive Function skills taught:
- Learning to plan ahead and accurately estimate time
- Situational awareness
- Making a “future plan” to manage spending money
- Being responsible for one’s belongings
- Making lunch and cleaning up independently
Watch clips from our daily morning lessons at the ADHD Dude YouTube channel.